Thursday, September 3, 2009

What's your style?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, as it pertains to scrapbooking. Yesterday, I was playing around with my supplies and wanted to create a page just for me. Just because. So I came up with this.

Journaling says, "This is a question I have been asking myself lately about my scrapbooking work. What style do I most enjoy? Shabby, messy and artsy, or clean? The truth is that I enjoy them all, and even though my style seems to come through as clean with a little bit of shabbiness to it, inside of me is definitely the artsy, creative type waiting to spill out! I would love to create more just for me. Create what my heart speaks to me that day. Just throw paint on paper, stitch and go. Not thinking about what others might think or if it's my "style" per se, or if my photos are stellar enough. I would like to not be so critical of my work, and create faster. Not think about it so much. The process is what I enjoy! I want to get messy!"

(By messy, I just mean more artsy-looking. I hope I didn't offend anyone by that.) I used a couple of Glimmer Mists here, Graphite and Deep Purple, and misted over the chipboard letters and then attached them off to the side. The photo is of my VERY messy paint palette. Me thinks I need a new one! The paint doesn't come off of it anymore. Kati was painting yesterday with it and after I rinsed it off, I thought, gosh that is pretty with all of the colors on it. So I took a picture of it and went from there.

I don't have a 12 x 12" printer, so I cut a strip of white cardstock off the side, printed on it and then put it back together on my layout. The way I do this is: I print my journaling on a regular piece of paper. Use a tape roller to attach my white cardstock over the top and run it through my printer again.

How about you? What's your style? What styles are you drawn to?

Supplies: Background paper: Cupid by Pink Paislee, orange and black scallop paper, brad: Twilight by Pink Paislee, red chipboard: Expressions by Pink Paislee, chipboard letters: Sweets by Basic Grey, green letters: American Crafts Thickers.

12 comments:

Deanna said...

You're speaking straight to my heart! My thoughts exactly! And I love this LO! It's terrific! And you're right, if I saw it in a gallery I wouldn't necessarily think it was yours. But it's really not the style that matters as much as enjoying the process that takes you there!

Anonymous said...

Is is a GREAT LO!!!! I seem to run along with your thoughts exactly!! i just can't ever find the time to be messy lol!!!! Maybe whe n the weather cools off and I spend more time indoors ill play with my paints more!

Cathy said...

Love this Dani! My thoughts exactly! It would be so wonderful to just do your own thing and not worry about what others think! Express from the soul!!

Joaniebolognie said...

OMGoodness, I love this page!!!! You totally rocked the glimmer mist girl!!!

Brainybairn said...

I love how you used the thickers as a mask!

Anabelle O'Malley said...

This is so awesome!! I just adore how you used the GM and the letters. As for styles, I think you CAN be a bit of both. I think I am. Love your work as always, my friend.

Raechelle Bellus said...

this speaks right to my heart. I would love to "break free" of "safe scrapping" and become more artsy. Someday... Love the layout. The GM looks great!

Elizabeth said...

You are right! Sometimes I feel that way too where I do a project and really want the inner artist to come out, not really sure that it does!

Although I do feel that way, I don't normally worry about what others will think. After all there will be some that always love it and others that won't! It's really all about me and what I create!

I love your layout and your honest journaling too!

Hope your weekend is a great one!
E.

milkcan said...

Love, love, love, love, LOVE this layout! One of my favorites ever from you!

DeeDee said...

Love the pic, and I wish I could create faster without getting so bogged down in the details. Enjoying your blog. :)

Sasha Holloway said...

I love the pic .. I am both a messy and clean scrapper .. I use to be so so so clean and now I dont care .. it was taking the fun out of it LOL..yah right me no fun .. get a clue LOL..

So umm yah thanks so much for the comment on my baskets .. I appreciate it and yep I sure did .. they are SO SO SIMPLE to make too. No water just glue and creative thinking .. lol

Leigh Penner said...

I love this layout, Danielle!
I am definitely more of a clean scrapper, but I do admire some of the messy looks!